The Society of Winton and Glenmoor (SWAG) was first established in October 2013 by Mr R Coe, Vice Principal of the Academies. Founder members of SWAG are Karen and Karsten Veal, Claire James and Susan Pinner. The vision of SWAG was to “bring parents and teachers together” in a way that was mutually beneficial.
We set out 3 core aims which have remained core to our work:
- Raise additional funds for the school that would create opportunity and/or resources that the school budget was unable to support but would improve the lives of the young people it served.
- Raise money for Charity. This is an unusual aim for a school PTA as it is in itself a charitable organisation. However, we believed strongly in the school’s partner charity The Jon Egging Trust and the work it did. We therefore pledge to give JET 25% of our profit each year.
- Raise the profile of the two Academies within the local community. We are now oversubscribed at both Academies; SWAG have been influential in bringing about this confidence through public profiling and word of mouth in the local area and schools
Since its inception, SWAG has raised over £10000 for the Academies and The Jon Egging Trust. This has help purchase or provide (amongst others):
- New tents to support our extensive Duke of Edinburgh offer
- New washing machine and dryer for PE
- New football and Rugby kit
- Specialist Workshops for drama and music
- Writing materials and blankets for orphanage in Ghana
- A new MFL popular culture section in the library
- A new dance mat for multi-purpose usage
- A 4 burner Bar BQ and Gazebo
SWAG raises money through:
- Putting on major events such as Fashion Shows, Quiz Evenings and Christmas Fayre
- Providing refreshments for Academy concerts, forums and open evenings
- Sponsorship of the school newsletter
If you would like to contact SWAG you can do so through:
Facebook: SWAG – The Society of Winton and Glenmoor