The History of Glenmoor School

Glenmoor School started life in 1877 as Winton British School catering for Boys and Girls from infants through to 13 years of age. The school opened with 40 children on roll, and lessons took place in one room at the Winton Congregational Church. 

The site for Winton and Moordown Schools (the original Coronation Avenue site), an area of11539 square yards, was purchased for £981 10s 6d. Work began immediately on a building to accommodate a total of 1250 children. There were to be 390 boys – Aged 8 to 13 in 8 classes and 390 girls in 8 classes, an average of 48 children in each class. There were also to be 470 mixed infants – Aged 5 to 8, with 52 in a class. The inclusive cost was £13,930, and the school was officially opened on the 14 th January 1911.

In 1957 there was a large reshuffle, The senior section of Winton and Moordown Girls school became Glenmoor School for Girls and moved to the site the school currently occupies on Beswick Avenue. The Junior section of both Winton and Moordown Girls and Boys school combined to form Winton and Moordown Junior School and occupied a new site at Oswald Road. The Winton and Moordown Infants and the Senior section of Winton and Moordown Boys school remained on the site at Coronation Avenue.

In later years the Infant and Junior schools have combined to form Winton Primary School in new buildings at Oswald Road, and the boys school become Winton Boys School and moved to the site new site next door to Glenmoor School on Winton Way.

High Achievement, High Standards

The school is part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB. Tel: 01832 864 444

United Learning