It is with great pleasure and much pride that I welcome you to Glenmoor & Winton Academies' website.
We are proud to be the two highest performing non-selective 11-16 schools in Bournemouth and incredibly privileged to be part of the multi Academy Chain United Learning.
Glenmoor & Winton Academies' motto is ‘High Achievement, High Standards’. We believe that every child matters and every lesson counts, creating well-rounded citizens who achieve academic excellence. Glenmoor & Winton is a highly inclusive school that caters for the needs of all students. We ensure our most able students are stretched academically and students with special educational needs and disabilities are expertly supported, allowing the Academies to bring out the best in everyone.
Glenmoor & Winton are unique schools due to the decision to co-locate the two Academies but remain separate schools through lessons being taught in a single sex environment. This has proved hugely successful with resources, staffing expertise and curriculum opportunities now being fully utilised for the benefit of all students at the Academies. Co-location has been seen by all stakeholders as offering the ‘best of both’ which I believe provides our students with the best possible chance of educational success.
2018 GCSE headline results are listed below for both Academies, which reflect the outstanding progress the Academies have and continue to make.
- 89% achieved 4+ in both English & maths
- English 9 - 4: 95%, Maths 9 - 4: 88% & 2 Sciences A* - C: 80%
- 79% achieved 4+ in both English & maths
- Mathematics 9 - 4 : 91%, English 9 - 4: 80% & 2 Sciences A* - C: 82%
Glenmoor Academy is currently graded as ‘good’ and is awaiting inspection this year. Winton Academy was graded as ‘outstanding’ in all areas by Ofsted in December 2018. Comments included in the reports are listed below and reflective of the Academies' growing reputation on a local, regional and national level.
- “Leaders have ensured that the school has improved impressively since the last inspection”.
- “The results achieved at key stage 4 in 2017 placed the school as the number-one high-achieving school, compared to similar secondary schools nationwide, in the Department for Education’s performance tables”.
- “Pupils make significantly better progress than the national average in every subject that they study”.
- “Teaching in the school is strong, with committed practitioners who provide excellent direction so that pupils’ knowledge, understanding and skills improve, regardless of ability levels”.
- "Students behave exceptionally well around the site. The academy is a calm and safe environment for learning"
- "Students are overwhelmingly positive about the academy. They take great care and pride in the presentation of their work"
As an organisation we are values-based, and expect everyone to work to our core values of integrity, compassion and courage. Students are able to access a huge number of extra-curricular opportunities across the Academies. As well as sporting opportunities I am pleased to report our achievements in expressive arts, including our choir being named as regional choir of the year for four years running. Students are also provided with a variety of high quality off site educational trips to places such as London, New York, France, Spain and Italy to name but a few. Extensive links are also well-established with local businesses including JP Morgan and Barclays, as well as local and Russell Group universities.
At Glenmoor and Winton we positively encourage and value the support and contribution of parents/carers. There are a number of ways in which parents can become involved including attending a year group ‘Parent Forum’, or joining the parent association - SWAG (Society of Winton and Glenmoor). Please have a look at our ‘PTA SWAG’ tab on the website for further details.
I hope you find the information on this website useful and please do not hesitate to contact the Academies if you wish to organise a tour and see for yourself the excellent work being done by the outstanding students who attend Glenmoor & Winton. If you would like to be kept up to date with developments at Glenmoor & Winton then I recommend following us on Twitter and accessing the fortnightly Academies' newsletter.
Very best wishes
Glenmoor & Winton Academies